The Standards are enacted in accordance with Article 9 of Food
For the collection of public stock, the paddy must be produced
by farmers in the current period, with the exclusion of ratoon
or volunteer rice, and be listed as superior varieties by the
The terms in the Standards are defined as follows:
1. Test weight: the weight per liter.
2. Foreign matter: the matter other than the paddy itself.
3. Heat damaged kernel: the sound kernel or broken kernel
damaged by microbiological heating with color changes from
normal into yellow or dark yellow.
4. Sprouted kernel: the sound kernel or broken kernel sprouted,
rooted or with the traces of sprouts or roots, including
rotten-germ kernel (the rice of germ discoloration and
5. Damaged kernel: the sound kernel or broken kernel damaged by
humidity, fungus, insect, or other reasons with obvious
defects and deterioration, including fungus and insect
damaged kernel(the rice damaged by disease, insect and
fungus), fissure and cracked kernel(the rice of fissure
endosperm), abnormal kernel(the deformed rice) and rusty
kernel(the rice of rusty surface), not including heat
6. Off-type kernel: the rice with different shapes.
7. Broken kernel: the rice broken. The size of a broken rice
kernel shall be at least 1/4 up to 3/4 of the average length
of 30 normal rice kernels.
8. Chalky kernel: over 1/2 of the rice kernels with opaque or
9. Immature kernel: the immature and (or) stunted rice kernel
and broken kernel.
10.Non-opaque waxy kernels: the color of waxy rice kernel is not
For the collection of public stock, the standards for paddy are
1. Moisture: shall not exceed 13% .
2. Test weight: Japonica rice weighted up to 530 grams per liter,
Indica rice weighted up to 490 grams per liter, short grain
waxy rice weighted up to 510 grams per liter and long grain
waxy rice weighted up to 480 grams per liter.
3. Foreign matter: shall not exceed 0.5%.
4. Heat damaged kernel: shall not exceed 0.5%.
5. Sprouted kernel: shall not exceed 1%.
6. Damaged kernel: shall not exceed 5%.
7. Off-type kernel: Japonica rice and Indica rice shall not
exceed 5% and waxy rice shall not exceed 3%.
8. Broken kernel: Japonica rice shall not exceed 4% , Indica
rice shall not exceed 8%, short grain waxy rice shall not
exceed 3% and long grain waxy rice shall not exceed 6%.
9. Chalky kernel: Japonica rice shall not exceed 7% and Indica
rice shall not exceed 5%.
10.Immature kernel: Japonica rice and Indica rice shall not
exceed 15% and waxy rice shall not exceed 10%.
11.Non-opaque waxy kernels: waxy rice shall not exceed 4%.
12.Hygiene requirements shall conform to the relevant food
hygiene laws of the Republic of China.
The standards for inspection in Subparagraph 4 through
Subparagraph 11 in the former Article shall be evaluated by the
brown rice that has been ground.
For specific varieties that are listed as superior varieties by
the authority, the quantity of the chalky kernels shall not be
applicable Subparagraph 9 in paragraph 1 of the former Article.
The Standards shall take effect on the date of promulgation.