1.Promulgated on October 30, 2000
2.Amendment to all Articles and amendment to Title promulgated on July 24,
3.Amendment to all Articles and amendment to Title promulgated on October 29,
4.Amendment to Article 2 promulgated on April 15, 2005.
5.Amendment to Article 3 promulgated on June 23, 2006.
6.Amendment to Article 7 promulgated on January 18, 2007.
7.Amendment to Articles 2 , Appendix 1and 2 of Article 4 promulgated on June
8.Amendment to Article 3 promulgated on October 02, 2013.
In order to execute Article 19 of the “Animal Industry Act” for issuing the approval letters of importing breeding livestock and poultry and genetic resources, the following guidelines were promulgated.
Approval letters shall be issued by the Council of Agriculture (also known as COA) for the importation of breeding livestock and poultry and other genetic resources for breeding purposes, breed improvement, and proliferation, with imports limited to the following categories:
(1) 0101.10.00.10 － 4 Live horses, pure-bred breeding animals.
(2) 0102.10.00.00 － 5 Live bovine animals, pure-bred breeding animals.
(3) 0103.10.00.00 － 4 Live swine, pure-bred breeding animals.
(4) 0104.20.00.10 － 9 Live goats, pure-bred breeding animals.
(5) 0105.11.10.00 － 9 Live fowls, pure-bred breeding animals, weighing not more than 185g.
(6) 0105.12.10.00 － 8 Live turkeys, pure-bred breeding animals, weighing not more than 185g.
(7) 0105.19.10.00 － 1 Live ducks, geese, guinea fowls, pure-bred breeding animals, weighing not more than 185g.
(8) 0105.94.10.00 － 9 Live fowls of the species Gallus domesticus, pure-bred breeding animals, weighing more than 185g .
(9) 0105.99.10.00 － 4 Live ducks, geese, turkeys, guinea fowls, pure-bred breeding animals, weighing more than 185g.
(10) 0220.127.116.11 － 5 Deer, pure-bred breeding animals.
(11) 0106.39.00.24 － 0 Lives ostriches, pure-bred breeding animals.
(12) 0511.10.00.00 － 0 Bovine semen.
(13) 0518.104.22.168 － 0 Semen for livestock and poultry breeding.
(14) 0522.214.171.124 － 9 Embryos for livestock and poultry breeding.
(15) 05126.96.36.199 － 8 Ovum for livestock and poultry breeding.
Applications to import breeding livestock and poultry and genetic resources should be limited to the listed breeds or lines as following:
(1) Dairy cattle:
(2) Beef cattle:
G. Simmental Fleckvieh.
B. Yorkshire or LargeWhite.
A. Sambar deer.
B. Sika deer.
C. Red deer.
D. Fallow deer.
Involving new breeds or lines that have not yet been imported into Taiwan, applications should follow the procedures listed in item 3 of Guideline 4.
Application procedures and supporting documents required:
(1) Application procedures ：
A. Breeding livestock: application for import approval letter shall be filed with the county/city government of the area where the livestock will be allocated and raised. Following review, the application shall be referred to COA for issuance of the import approval letter.
B. Breeding poultry: application for import approval letter shall be filed with the National Animal Industry Foundation. Following review, the application shall be forwarded to COA for issuance of an import approval letter.
C. Genetic resources: application for import approval letter shall be filed with COA. Following review, the COA will issue the import approval letter.
(2) Application for import approval letter shall be supported by the following documents, in triplicate:
A. Application form (as Annex 1 and Annex 2).
B. Photocopy of a quotation issued from original country.
C. Photocopy of the farm registration certificate (except for imports of semen or embryos)
D. Pedigree certificate: the pedigree of breeding livestock should be certified by the government of the exporting country or by an authorized breed association, or alternatively shall be confirmed by a certificate that the livestock is duly listed in the exporting country.
E. Performance data: those wishing to import semen should provide donor’s performance data that meet the average of the breed. For those wishing to import embryos the performance data of both sire and dam are required.
(3) For breeds or lines those are being introduced to Taiwan for the first time, the applicant shall submit the following information and file their application for an import approval letter directly with COA:
A. Application form.
B. Certificates of the importers.
C. Breeding history or discovery of the breed or line.
D. Feeding study references.
E. Photograph of the object or product.
F. Other related documents that may be required by the government.
During a six-month period for follow-up quarantine requirements, relocation of the imported breeding livestock or poultry is prohibited, unless permitted by the local county/city government. The COA will punish violators of this rule by not issue further import approval letter for a period of two years from their violation.
An import permit is valid for six months from the day after the issue of the approval letter. The approval letter shall void upon expiration of the import permit, and a new application is required for continued importation.
Quarantine of imported breeding livestock and poultry and genetic resources shall follow the “Quarantine Requirements for the Importation of Animals or Animal Products” promulgated by the Bureau of Animal and Plant Health Inspection and Quarantine of COA.
Within six months of the import of breeding livestock and poultry and genetic resources, an application for tariff exemption can be filed with the county/city government of the location where the livestock or poultry is raised or the genetic resources are used, with this application having to be accompanied by a photocopy of the import permit and pedigree certificate. Following review, the application will be forwarded to COA for the issuance of a tariff exemption approval. The application will be rejected if it is filed after the expiry of the prescribed time limit.
If concern exists that a particular import may influence the market stability of the local livestock and poultry industry, the COA has the sole discretion to suspend the issuance of approval letter on a per item basis.
The import involving genetic manipulated shall follow other related regulations.